8-Second Slave
The 8-second time lapse. Someone's jumping off a boat in Greece. Gone. Someone's eating a big bowl of ice-cream. Gone. Someone's sitting on a beach in Florida. Gone. Someone is reading a book in a hammock. Gone. Someone's having a party with all of your friends. Gone. Someone is in an airport flying to Texas. Gone. Someone's kissing her boyfriend. Gone. Someone just got flowers. Gone.
I have found myself growing more and more short-focused. I can't help but wonder if it has to do with how surrounded I am by a fast-paced social and real world.
While reading, I can only make it a couple chapters...while praying, I only communicate for a few short minutes.
I think our generation is a slave to speed.
The internet is at our hands in no time. Questions about something? No problem. You'll have the answer in seconds...along with 300,000 other possibilities. The children of Gen Z are being exposed to all types of answers to their child-like questions in a matter of milliseconds.But have we stopped to think how this might be affecting our relationship with God? As Christians, how focused are we? Do we have the ability to "be still and know"? Are we able to unplug and meditate? To empty our minds of the 1000 American "to dos" and the wants and desires stimulated by the 8-second Insta-Story?
Are we taking the necessary pre-cautions to be able to allow space for Jesus in our hearts?
I have been convicted recently of my lack of focus in my own walk. I am constantly thinking about something OTHER than the weight and magnitude of the gospel while I'm reading the bible. My prayers are often interrupted by a recent idea or conversation I might have had. And unfortunately...alot of them have to do with me.
I hate that the fall made us selfish. And I hate that our selfishness often doesn't even allow us to grasp how selfish we really are.
All He wants is our time, and that's the hardest thing for us to give Him.
But let me challenge you...
If your selfishness of time is interrupting the relationship you have with the creator OF time, then there needs to be a change of pace, heart, and mindset.
The command is to be still. So, turn it off sometimes. Let the first moment of your day be you acknowledging your need for stillness--and Who meets you there. Let the glory of the Savior keep you focused on what matters.
Here are two great podcasts that have challenged me this week:
http://www.desiringgod.org/interviews/why-not-to-check-your-phone-in-the-morning
http://www.desiringgod.org/interviews/dont-waste-your-mornings



have a great day
ReplyDelete