This is America. Now what? A challenge to believers.


It seems as if we all need a little bit more love in the world.


Every day I scroll through social media and see close friends berating other individuals, I hear people prioritizing America over the Gospel over and over, and I hear people’s opinions – but that’s it.

People’s feelings get hurt so easily because people are so mean and rude and hateful today. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love America. But, the political and agenda-driven comments of people are the highlights of every news story out there. And unfortunately, it’s now in my own social feed that I experience the most hate. Christians berate other Christians for what they teach and preach, women tear apart men, men tear apart women, the white brother tears apart the black brother, and the black brother tears apart the white brother. News articles are shared with passive-aggressive meanings behind them that push the agenda and forget to care about the individual, the past, the story.

This fundamental attribution error (attributing someone’s belief or political stance based on an internal problem within them) is creating a bloodbath in our world today! Right now, you can't have a friendly discussion about liberalism or conservatism. You can't civilly discuss the pros and cons and different perspectives of race, gender, religion, ethnic background, political differences, or a different controversial topic.

And the part that I must question is that of fruit. You see, a tree bears the fruit of its roots. If you plant an apple tree, you will get a beautiful crisp apple at the end. And I keep noticing that the root system of Christians and Americans is turning more into a tree that bears the fruit of “being right” and hard opinions than that of love.

The love that I speak of is not one full of emotions. It is not the one that is wishy-washy and flows with the wind or the newest trend. No, it is the love that “bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things,” a love that never fails. THIS love seeks the highest good of the person. Is the highest good of the person in front of you to show them how right you are, no matter the cost? Or is it possible that it might look a little big different?
 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 15

The believer is to be known by their love.
It is a command straight from scripture to the hearts of these trees that are to bear fruit. The fruit MUST be love. Maybe you have a strong opinion about why that is not true, but I do know that opinions don’t show people Christ, love does.
So maybe the next time you speak, think first. Maybe the next time you’re in front of someone who doesn’t believe the same as you, hold to the same political view as you, or claim the same sexual orientation as you, let the first fruit [impression] be love.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it really real? Week 3 in Germany

Stubborn man given NEW life in a matter of minutes.

Goodbye 'Murica, Hey Germany!