Dirt.
After a long night of arriving in Uganda, getting settled in and FINALLY getting to sleep, (only to fall off of an 8ft bunk onto tile...yes, it hurt very badly), I was ready to get going the next day. Our first day in Uganda. I didn't know that I could be as excited as I was to finally be there; to smell the smells and breath in the African air. We started out from house 1 and walked our way to Kitende (chi-ten-day) Primary School. It was probably a 15 minute walk to the small village of Kitende. This was my first real sight of Africa. I walked up the dirt hills and let as much dirt as possible find its way into my shoes and toes. We passed chickens randomly clucking on the side of the road, houses with signs in front that said "NOT for sale" with a phone number beside it, I saw toddlers running out of their simple shack homes yelling "Mzungu!!!" (Ugandan word for white person), and all I could do was smile. Smile and pray, "Lord use me in these next weeks."
We arrived at Kitende school and had a great plan with activities for the kids, and everything. And then I saw this:
We arrived at Kitende school and had a great plan with activities for the kids, and everything. And then I saw this:
Tons and tons of children running after us. Screaming, squealing with joy and happiness and laugher. And not a frown existed on any of their faces. Sweaty heads gleamed in the hot sun, and the dirt couldn't be erased from their color-coordinated shirts. At first I didn't know what to do. I held my $500 camera around my neck with my "cool" sunglasses expecting to somehow impress these people with my mzunguism, and then got completely slapped, if not punched in the face.
And then God started being in me. All of a sudden, he tore this huge massive veil of pride off of my heart and body and soul and I felt myself running and laughing. I dropped my expensive "cool" camera, kicked off my shoes, and started running to the arms of Jesus, JUST like these children did. Not caring what anyone thought of me. I felt so cleansed by the blood of Jesus, even though I was absolutely covered in red dirt.
We ran around and played soccer, and duck duck goose, and giggled. The whole time, I gave myself to God and let His mercy and His Grace wash through me as I learned within a few short minutes what it was like to be washed through with Him.
It's crazy how much that dirt impacted me. Maleah Weir put it this way. "I miss these things more than usual today: their little hands interlocking with mine, their joy, their smiles. I miss the dirt. I miss being dirty. But it's funny, I felt cleaner there then I do now, cleansed with the blood of my Savior. How evident it was there, the dirtier my feet got, the more Jesus was wiping them clean, wiping my heart clean, wiping my tears as they fall, still. Let them fall. Into His arms I run, praying that every soul that I learned to love while I was there follows, running to His arms."
What a beautiful picture. The dirtier our hearts get on THIS earth, the more Jesus is wiping them clean. The more His redemptive power and Mercy continually wipe our hearts clean. Don't miss it either. Don't take for granted what God gave for a price. In fact YOU and I are the price. Don't live the expensive, cool Christian life, talking the talk, but not walking the walk. Drop your act, and be unveiled. Let God RIP the pride that covers your heart and soul and body, and run to Him. He wants you to so bad, and its so easy. Just RUN to God, and let Him cleanse you with His always-perfect love.
Comments
Post a Comment