Pure and Undefiled
I didn't know that just land could be so beautiful until I found myself in Murchinson Falls National Park, Uganda.
As we drove through the long, winding, dirt roads, the wind pulled the hair out of your face, and you couldn't help but spread your arms as wide as you could like you were flying. Because the difference about this park than american parks, was that all it was was africa. No man-made fences, or houses, no wanna-be natural habitat animals, it was pure african soil, african worn dirt roads, african animals, it was Africa. It was free of pollution from the world.
pure/pyo͝or/
I think that a lot of times, people only get and take away the first part of this verse. Now, don't get me wrong, taking care of the orphans and the widows in their distress is a very important part in Christianity. I love serving orphans and those that need physical and spiritual help, because that is my heart! However, James says "and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
Don't let yourself become so involved in the world that you forget God and His command to be 'in the world, but not of it.'
This place was beautiful. Everywhere you turned, there was something new to gaze upon. Something incredibly beautiful that I couldn't take my eyes off of. Or a new animal that just fascinated me. Or a new species of animal that I've never known about (new to me that is..).
There was something about this park that was different though, and I couldn't quite put my finger on it.
Sometimes I wish my life could mimic the sweet african plains of Uganda. To be free, unpolluted by the world.
pure/pyo͝or/
| Adjective: |
|
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27
I think that a lot of times, people only get and take away the first part of this verse. Now, don't get me wrong, taking care of the orphans and the widows in their distress is a very important part in Christianity. I love serving orphans and those that need physical and spiritual help, because that is my heart! However, James says "and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
Wow. What a hard command to follow. To keep myself, body and heart from being polluted by the world? In the world we live in today, we are constantly attacked and tempted into just GIVING IN. Is it even possible to stay pure and not polluted by the world? With media as big as it is today, the drugs, sex, and all-the-time partying are almost inescapable. But we have an escape. The Lord is our escape, and He is the only one that can give us the ability to say "no" to what we need to. The strength that it takes to say NO to the world and YES to Christ is incredibly big. And I think it's important that us lowly human beings understand that its not our strength that lets us stay pure before God. It's only Christ's strength. His strength is made perfect in our weakness. When we are all the time surrounded by sin, it gets harder and harder, but that's when our call to be pure and undefiled before God stands stronger than ever.
Don't let yourself become so involved in the world that you forget God and His command to be 'in the world, but not of it.'

Comments
Post a Comment