Stats Into Stories
I look at this blank paper, unsure of what to write. Unsure of what kind of words that could motivate myself and whoever is reading this to embrace the urgency we should have. My heart is heavy as I remember the first picture I ever saw of my little sister, Maria. Although she is not with us physically, I have faith that her spirit is with us, although she may not remember. Today I imagine it from the 4-year-old brain she had at the time. Young, beautiful, innocent. So much life ahead of her, and from what she hears: a new family. These 2 americans have come 3 times already to visit her, and she only needs the final touches for some papers and she will finally have a family. Sisters and brothers, who have already sent her goodies, will love her. A mother and a father who care so much about her. A home that she can call her own. She will be free. Less than 6 months away until she can be in America; no longer an orphan.
The silly man, who always tickles her and stands a head taller than the men from her country. A beautiful woman, who loves the man very much, with a kind and gentle touch and welcoming arms. The excitement builds in her face just at the thought of meeting their many kids and soon to be siblings. Soon. Soon. She looks around at the home she is in. Foster care isn't terrible, but I just can't wait to be loved.
Gone. In just one decision of a judge, all the hopes and dreams she had for this future life vanished. The familiar darkness settles over her heart and soul as the reality of no more dreaming sets in. If only I could feel the arms of that sweet mommy again. If only I could giggle as my daddy tickles me..just one more time. It is no more, though. That fantasy is gone and will never return.
My heart cries out to God as I write what I imagine the thoughts of my precious sister would be right now. The heaviness continues to fall as I realize how little I know about her and her situation.
But she is just ONE. 1 in 7,000,000,000. 4,500,000,000 of which are not Christians, and 2,500,000,000 of which have NO ACCESS TO THE GOSPEL
I hope your heart just fluttered, and you had to hold back tears of the reality of two billion, five hundred million INDIVIDUALS that have NO access to the gospel because YOU and I HAVE NOT TAKEN IT TO THEM. You can make every excuse you want to, but when you stand before the throne of God, OF GOD ALMIGHTY in Heaven and He asks you WHY, then you are going to have to tell him every excuse you tell yourself and hope that He understands. I want your heart to hurt so bad to see those numbers.
How long does it take to count to ten? About 3-4 seconds. In that time, you have counted 10 lives, 10 stories, 10 souls. Now count to 2.5 billion. 2.5 billion lives, names, stories, and souls, waiting to be renewed and made fresh and whole in the blood of Jesus.
I put a name to 1= Maria. She is one soul that I care so much about. Because I have a connection with her, I know her story, her name...I have personalized her and she is no longer a number to me. A name makes a statistic a reality. It takes away the overwhelmingness of the number, and instead produces a love for every single one of the 7 billion names.
A named face makes someone go from a statistic to a story. So GO. Learn their stories, and make access to the Gospel. The day is coming where all will have to give an account. What will yours be? No excuses, no regrets, I challenge you to go and make this statistic a S T O R Y.
The silly man, who always tickles her and stands a head taller than the men from her country. A beautiful woman, who loves the man very much, with a kind and gentle touch and welcoming arms. The excitement builds in her face just at the thought of meeting their many kids and soon to be siblings. Soon. Soon. She looks around at the home she is in. Foster care isn't terrible, but I just can't wait to be loved.
Gone. In just one decision of a judge, all the hopes and dreams she had for this future life vanished. The familiar darkness settles over her heart and soul as the reality of no more dreaming sets in. If only I could feel the arms of that sweet mommy again. If only I could giggle as my daddy tickles me..just one more time. It is no more, though. That fantasy is gone and will never return.
My heart cries out to God as I write what I imagine the thoughts of my precious sister would be right now. The heaviness continues to fall as I realize how little I know about her and her situation.
But she is just ONE. 1 in 7,000,000,000. 4,500,000,000 of which are not Christians, and 2,500,000,000 of which have NO ACCESS TO THE GOSPEL
I hope your heart just fluttered, and you had to hold back tears of the reality of two billion, five hundred million INDIVIDUALS that have NO access to the gospel because YOU and I HAVE NOT TAKEN IT TO THEM. You can make every excuse you want to, but when you stand before the throne of God, OF GOD ALMIGHTY in Heaven and He asks you WHY, then you are going to have to tell him every excuse you tell yourself and hope that He understands. I want your heart to hurt so bad to see those numbers.
How long does it take to count to ten? About 3-4 seconds. In that time, you have counted 10 lives, 10 stories, 10 souls. Now count to 2.5 billion. 2.5 billion lives, names, stories, and souls, waiting to be renewed and made fresh and whole in the blood of Jesus.
I put a name to 1= Maria. She is one soul that I care so much about. Because I have a connection with her, I know her story, her name...I have personalized her and she is no longer a number to me. A name makes a statistic a reality. It takes away the overwhelmingness of the number, and instead produces a love for every single one of the 7 billion names.
A named face makes someone go from a statistic to a story. So GO. Learn their stories, and make access to the Gospel. The day is coming where all will have to give an account. What will yours be? No excuses, no regrets, I challenge you to go and make this statistic a S T O R Y.
Comments
Post a Comment