An Angel's Journey part 1


Some people pray for connections, some people pray for witnessing opportunities, some direction. But I prayed for a child. I prayed for a connection. One that I knew would be rekindled for many years to come.

Arriving at the slums in Kabalagala left me breathless. People LIVE this way? I thought to myself, “gross.” And right then, I thought the very same word about my heart. Immediately, God started preparing me.

            After a 10-minute walk to the heart of the slums, we arrived at a school called Rays of Hope. Allie has written multiple times about it, and describes it very well. But you can’t quite understand what she or I is talking about until you walk through the gate. Until you see. Rays of Hope sits directly in the middle of the Lord’s heart. Walking into Rays of Hope was like a breath of fresh air. The smiles, the laughter, and the giggles filled my heart to a level it has never been before. Immediately when the children walked out of the classrooms, I realized. I finally realized all that Allie and all the other previous teams meant when they talked about never ending JOY. When they talked about 10 kids hanging on your neck the entire time, and ebony hands reaching for yours, and kids crowding around you to get in one of the millions of pictures being taken. And the laughter you hear. And the Lugandan accents that make you start to talk like that. It’s overwhelmingly filling. Not being filled like you just ate a thanksgiving dinner, not even being satisfied, but filled with a peace and a joy that can only come from Jesus. And all you can do is smile, take in every moment, and right then start to pray for the school, the people, the work, the community, and the lives of every single person going to that school.

            As I tried to take in every moment, and as I saw the beautiful white smiles of kiddos hanging all over me, I still didn’t feel that this connection had come. This child that I knew was going to somehow change me. Not that the kids I was with at the moment did not matter, because they ALL have captured my heart, but I still had this feeling. And right then, I prayed for this unknown Ugandan, that I knew was going to come in my life.

            Out of a crowd of small children this little girl wandered out of it and slowly walked over to where I was, right by the newly built kitchen. Then, without me even knowing it she found her way into my arms. Oh, how I wish my memory could remember every single moment of meeting this angel. Clinging closely to me, she drank in every ounce of attention she could get. I examined her condition, ripped dress, small, dirty jacket on, dirty face, and the eyes of Jesus. Her name was Angel.

            I held her close. From that moment when she crawled in my arms, she didn’t leave them until we left. I picked up several more children, and they would take turns kissing my mzungu face with their sweet brown lips, and in turn I gave them as much love as I could pour out on a group of people in such little time.  My sweet Angel would look up at me and smile with the biggest smile I can remember. She would look deep into my heart and say “Oh, I love you so much,” in her sweet Ugandan accent.

            There is something different about holding someone with a different skin color than you.

            When the time came for her to eat lunch, I told her to go get in line. Unwilling to let go of this maybe once in a lifetime chance, she held on tightly to me, never wanting to let go. I finally forced her to get in line, promising that I was still going to be here. As she tickled me, and as she smiled at me, and kissed me and sat in my arms, I kept asking God “what are you trying to teach me?” He answered, “just listen.”

            This is what I wrote in my journal the day I met angel: “THEN, I met little Angel. This was probably my favorite moment (s) of the whole trip. God placed her in my arms and I literally fell in LOVE. The way she smiled at me and kissed my cheek repeatedly OVERWHELMED me. I truly love her. I only hope the connection is as strong when I go back on Tuesday.” (6/12/12) The week passed with me constantly thinking about this sweet girl put in my life for some reason. I prayed, I asked God for me to remember her and her to remember me, and I prayed that His will would be done. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it really real? Week 3 in Germany

Stubborn man given NEW life in a matter of minutes.

Goodbye 'Murica, Hey Germany!