Mind=BLOWN
You know those things on twitter when it shows a picture of something cool, and then it says "mind=BLOWN"? Well, just wait.
It was the second friday in Uganda which meant we were headed to Kitende Primary School. Field day was planned for the afternoon filled with games, dirt, fun, and tons of laughter. That morning, we were going to the village of Kitende to hand out village bags and invite people to the field to hear about the Gospel. We took our village bags and started walking. Handing out bag after bag to beautiful people who were strangers, God really started opening my eyes. It was the last place we went. The last bag I had. I had wandered just a little bit from my small group that was with me behind this house, to where I could still see them, but no one was with me.
I spotted this little toddler, maybe not yet even 2 sitting in a puddle of mud. Baby fleas and flies were digging in his big brown, unhopeful eyes, and his potbelly protruded from his 3-sizes-too-big Tshirt. And it was right there, as I was staring so deeply in his dark brown eyes, that I saw the hurt, and the hunger, and the need. I looked at the face of poverty. I held his precious little hand and he grasped mine, either of us not uttering a word. Finally someone pulled me away, beckoning that it was time to go. How could I leave? I'll never forget that child's face. Maybe someday I'll find him, but until then, I pray for him, for all children, and that maybe one day I'll see him again.
We left that part of the village and started walking back up to the field to get ready to tell all the village people about the goodness of Jesus. I started becoming dissapointed because of the seemingly small numbers that actually showed up. Five or Six people lingered around the middle of the field, not knowing what they got themselves into. From a distance, I spotted a group of women talking with their children playing around them.
Immediately the Lord picked up my feet and started walking me to the circle of women. I shyly introduced myself, hoping they knew a little bit of English. I met a mom holding a 6 month old baby named, Moses.
This is Moses. I asked the mother if I could hold her baby for a little bit, and we immediately fell in love. He giggled when I threw him up in the air, and loved when I tickled him, or held him tight. I looked deep into his eyes and again saw the same hurt and longing for love like I have never seen before. I couldn't take it. It hurt me maybe even more than he was being hurt. Because he had become numb to the fact that no one cared, or no one wanted him.
I noticed that the moms had come to our little "gathering" and seemed to be paying alot of attention to Shane and Pastor Robert, who were sharing about Jesus. I decided to go over and join them. I sat down with baby Moses in my lap, and held him. Just like Jesus holds me when I need it. Just like when I feel pain, and Jesus comes and holds my hand. Tickles my feelings to make me laugh at myself. Throws me in the air and then catches me just to show me that He has it all under control.
As I was going to give baby Moses back to his mother, I noticed her praying with pastor Robert. I later learned that she had been saved that day. MIND=BLOWN.
Little did I know that playing with someone's 6-month-old boy would result in a new sister in Christ. What a blessing. I haven't seen Moses since then. But the pictures that hang in my room continually remind me of the time that was spent with him. The time that I wouldn't trade for anything. Although the chances are very slim of seeing him again, I can't wait to hopefully see him in heaven. Pray for him and his mother. That her faith will stand firm and that she will learn more, and teach others more about the goodness and mercies of Jesus.


Comments
Post a Comment