"Here I am"
3 words, 7 letters, 1 phrase; 1 meaning.
"Here I am"
The sound of these three words humbles me.
Genesis 46:2 "Here I am," he replied.
Genesis 23:11 "But the angel of the Lord called out to him from heaven, 'Abraham! Abraham!'
'Here I am,' he replied."
Genesis 31:11 "The angel of God said to me in a dream, 'Jacob.' I answered, 'Here I am!'
These verses are just a fraction of the countless in Genesis alone. It has recently made me wonder the significance of those simple words.
Each time, it was the Lord coming to these noble men in the old testament, and each time in response they said just three words. No questions, no complaining, no concern, no heartache, no grief, or hesitation. They simply obeyed.
Is it their healthy fear of God? The same power of God that raised Christ from the dead that is speaking to those men and to ME even? The fear of God that holds them to only three words?
Or maybe its that nothing else matters in the world, except that moment that God is revealing Himself to them. Because they know that the Lord is all they need, and all they'll ever need. For He is their greatest JOY. Maybe it's that they set aside the 'problems' of their days, and set their gaze and their focus on the beautiful image of God. Oh that He would be my greatest Joy.
It amazes me how much that we can learn from the people of the old testament. Those people who saw God's literal hand at work. Those people who saw two sides of a MASSIVE BODY OF WATER peel back at just the whisper of His words. And that very same power works in and through me--yet I still say,"maybe later God."
"Here I am" -- depicts a certain type of willingness, no matter the requirements. A whole life ready and willing to allow the POWER of Christ to work in them. A willing sacrifice. Sounds familiar? Maybe that's because the Lamb that was silent before the petty threats of mankind was led to the wooden cross as a willing sacrifice. He gave Himself into the hands of the ever-loving, ever-jealous God, so that His Will might be accomplished through Christ's life.
Creation is beautiful, and I firmly believe that God reveals Himself through His creation. The beautiful sunsets scream His majesty, and the calming views of the sunrise threaten to overwhelm my heart with the magnificence of Jesus. Although it's hard to imagine what it would be like for God Almighty to reveal Himself to us so plainly and evidently like in the Old Testament, we can't just discard the fact that He STILL is revealing Himself to us. Just look around--listen to Him speaking directly to YOU. "..you need only be still." Exodus 14:14
Be still and hear Him speaking. Just be still. Be ready and willing to sacrifice not just your talents, and gifts, or money, and possessions, but ALL of you. And when He calls, simply respond, "Here I am."
3 words, 7 letters, 1 phrase;
1 meaning-a willing sacrifice.
"Here I am"
The sound of these three words humbles me.
Genesis 46:2 "Here I am," he replied.
Genesis 23:11 "But the angel of the Lord called out to him from heaven, 'Abraham! Abraham!'
'Here I am,' he replied."
Genesis 31:11 "The angel of God said to me in a dream, 'Jacob.' I answered, 'Here I am!'
These verses are just a fraction of the countless in Genesis alone. It has recently made me wonder the significance of those simple words.
Is it their healthy fear of God? The same power of God that raised Christ from the dead that is speaking to those men and to ME even? The fear of God that holds them to only three words?
Or maybe its that nothing else matters in the world, except that moment that God is revealing Himself to them. Because they know that the Lord is all they need, and all they'll ever need. For He is their greatest JOY. Maybe it's that they set aside the 'problems' of their days, and set their gaze and their focus on the beautiful image of God. Oh that He would be my greatest Joy.
It amazes me how much that we can learn from the people of the old testament. Those people who saw God's literal hand at work. Those people who saw two sides of a MASSIVE BODY OF WATER peel back at just the whisper of His words. And that very same power works in and through me--yet I still say,"maybe later God."
"Here I am" -- depicts a certain type of willingness, no matter the requirements. A whole life ready and willing to allow the POWER of Christ to work in them. A willing sacrifice. Sounds familiar? Maybe that's because the Lamb that was silent before the petty threats of mankind was led to the wooden cross as a willing sacrifice. He gave Himself into the hands of the ever-loving, ever-jealous God, so that His Will might be accomplished through Christ's life.
Creation is beautiful, and I firmly believe that God reveals Himself through His creation. The beautiful sunsets scream His majesty, and the calming views of the sunrise threaten to overwhelm my heart with the magnificence of Jesus. Although it's hard to imagine what it would be like for God Almighty to reveal Himself to us so plainly and evidently like in the Old Testament, we can't just discard the fact that He STILL is revealing Himself to us. Just look around--listen to Him speaking directly to YOU. "..you need only be still." Exodus 14:14
Be still and hear Him speaking. Just be still. Be ready and willing to sacrifice not just your talents, and gifts, or money, and possessions, but ALL of you. And when He calls, simply respond, "Here I am."
3 words, 7 letters, 1 phrase;
1 meaning-a willing sacrifice.
Comments
Post a Comment