The presence of Love

"Come on kids, line up!"
Squeals and giggles escape from the lips of excited primary school children who got the chance to have a "field day."

4 lines extended far back, holding 40+ children each, separated only by their colored shirts. The amount of ease it took to line the happy children up amazed me. Back in america, it would take years..this only took a couple seconds.

I had almost forgotten. Almost forgotten the hunger for love that these children have. It's a natural instinct for all people, but for these precious human beings, it seemed to stand out to me.  As I stood at the front of the line of children, this little boy stood right in front of me. He lead the line of yellow shirts loud and proud. He looked up to me, to help lead this line of "de weeners." But he just kept hugging me, and leaning on me. It was like we were a team to lead this line.


Would you believe that even 7 months after I returned, He continues to teach me from my experiences? Recently a good friend gave me a Christmas present that was a slideshow of a bunch of pictures from the summer trip to Uganda, and also some picture/videos of his recent trip. There were pictures I had never seen before, bringing about new emotions, and an even stronger hunger to return to the place I love; Uganda.

Smiles and laughter escaped from my lips as I realized this picture and what it represents. Although I didn't even realize it, I was giving this little boy just a piece of love. Preoccupied with lining up this big group of kids, I didn't even notice that just me being there with those kids, gave him a sense of security and love that he might have never experienced before.

You see, THATS why we can't JUST send our money and hope it does something good, or hope that some child gets fed. I have questioned myself a lot on this issue, especially after deciding to return to Uganda. "Is this really the wisest decision? Couldn't I just use my money in a different way?" And then I remembered this moment. Of not even being intentional about loving this precious child. But the presence of someone to love you, is sometimes all you need.

And its not just in Uganda either.

"A true brother comes to you in your time of need" ~Andrew, in David Platt's book Radical

Here is a quote from the book Radical that really hit home for me and opened up my eyes to the difference that going makes.

"When God chose to bring salvation to you and me, he did not send Gold, Silver, Cash or Check. He sent Himself--the Son. I was convicted for even considering that I should give money instead of actually going. How will I ever show the gospel to the world if all I send is my money? Was I really so shallow as to think that my money is the answer to the needs in the world? If we are going to accomplish the global purpose of God, it will not be primarily through giving our money, as important as that is. It will happen primarily through giving ourselves. This is what the gospel represents, and it's what the gospel requires. For each one of us, this clearly begins at home. Wherever you and I live, we are commanded to go and make disciples there. In light of Jesus' example, our primary impact on the nations will occur in the disciple making we do right around us."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it really real? Week 3 in Germany

Stubborn man given NEW life in a matter of minutes.

Goodbye 'Murica, Hey Germany!